Saturday, 28 January 2012

It is all about Education

I was honoured and delighted to be invited to take part in a panel discussion at Chester University yesterday answering questions from the students about Conservative Party education policy.  Representatives from Labour and the Lib-Dems also took part.    We discussed a range of topics from the English Baccalaureate to the numbers we could afford as a society to have a University degree.  It was challenging and thoroughly enjoyable - and I hope for the students enlightening.

At one stage I was challenged over one set of statistics I quoted by the Professor.  Happily I was able to reveal that my source was the BBC News Education pages and could turn up the sources on my iPad for the students to see.  It pays to be prepared!

My only regret is that I had to dash in and out of the session as I had a case at Chester Crown Court - but as partial pay back we extended the session so I could get some of my party's views over!

The University very kindly gave me a University scarf as a small 'thank-you' gift.  So if you see me wearing it - you'll now know why!


Front row: Andrew Dawson (Conservative), Mike Sullivan (Labour) and Jean Evans (Lib-Dem)
Back row: Paul Skillen and Prof Rob Hulme