Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Girls in the lead


I was honoured to be present at the Cheshire Forest Girl Guides long service awards last night at Forest Hills.  It was a wonderful uplifting evening paying tribute to the army of volunteer helpers that keep Guiding thriving in our part of Cheshire.   Long service awards from 5 years to 40 years were being awarded to several recipients. - including a few from Frodsham.  Nikki Barker received her 20 year long service award.  I'm sure Nikki won't mind me saying that this ages me (and many others) - as I well recall my two (now teenage) daughters enjoying their time with Rainbows and Brownies with her.

Girl Guiding is held in high esteem - and it was great to see my Mayoral colleagues from Warrington, Halton and from Chester (Lord Mayor in that case) with me in the audience.

I'm encouraging the Guides to participate in the January grant giving occasion in Frodsham.  The Scouts were successful last year - maybe this time its the Guides turn?