Monday, 3 October 2011

You and Yours?

I was honoured and delighted to be contacted by the You and Yours production team today - enquiring whether I would be prepared to appear on the BBC Radio 4 flagship programme to discuss micro generation - and in particular CWaC's recent decision to refuse permission for a single 15m high turbine at Riley Bank behind Frodsham.

The Producer was very flattering and told me that the local press had given him the impression that it was my 'impassioned' address to the committee on 20 September that had lead to the application being turned down.

Whilst appearing on national radio is a draw for most Councillors (me included) I had to disabuse him - and point him to the webcast of the meeting where I presented the case for local residents who were opposed to the application and where I had expressed that personally I was 'torn' and could see the case for supporting one single turbine in an isolated location.  I contrasted this position with Peel's proposals for Frodsham Marshes - an enormous landscape changing scheme that I in common with most of us living here I oppose.

I encouraged the Producer to speak with the Chairman of the Committee who proposed the refusal of this application on green belt grounds.

Ahh well sometimes the facts get in the way of a good story!!!
If you want to see the committee hearing you can go to http://connect.cheshirewestandchester.public-i.tv/site/player/pl_v7.php?a=60548&t=0&m=wms&l=en_GB.  The wind turbine proposal is item 6 on the agenda.