Friday, 14 October 2011

Walking with Guide Dogs for the Blind and the Lions Club


I was honoured and delighted to be invited to help Helsby & Frodsham Lion's Club raise money for the Guide Dogs for the Blind this afternoon in Frodsham.   Learner Guide dog Inca (with handler Damian) took me for a walk blindfolded along Main Street so I could experience what it was like to be led. 

I have to say thanks to Inca and Damian I felt safe - although it was quite unnerving.  Inca has nearly finished her training but certainly knew how to lead me!  Now we have our own pet Labrador Meg and I'm used to her pulling on the lead - but Inca's pull was stronger and much more directional.  However,  I have to say it was quite disorientating.    

Cllr Lynn Riley, who had come along, reckoned my walk had changed to resemble her grandfather's!  Margaret from the Lions reckoned I looked like I had a couple of pints!  Now Main Street pavement is in pretty good condition - but when walking blindfolded you felt every joint in the pavement.  You had to concentrate on what the dog, your feet and ears were telling you.  The rain gully was really awkward - and I realised just how valuable the bobbles on the pavement are when you reach a kerb.  It is humbling to be given an insight into just how important sight is.

It was really lovely to see just how welcoming everyone was - and the Lions club were delighted with their money raising efforts.

Incidentally the Lions club of Helsby and Frodsham is looking for more members to help them in their community work.  If you are interested - let me know and I'll pass your details on!