So just how many papers are involved well you have:
- Nomination Paper
- Candidates Consent to Nomination
- Notice of Appointment of Election Agent
- Certification of Candidate of Political Party (if relevant)
- Notice of Appointment of Polling Agents - in other words who can attend the polling stations for a candidate
- Notice of Appointment of Counting Agents - who can come to the count with the candidate
- Notice of Appointment of Agents to Attend the Opening of the Postal Votes
- Return of Candidate's Election Expenses
- Return of Expenses
- Declaration by Candidate as to Election Exepnses
- Declaration by Election Agent as to Election Expenses
- Declaration of Expenses
The paperwork for parish councils is slightly less - but not much.
I'm all for proper records and accountability - but surely we can modernise and improve this process?